At World Relief, we believe that part of healthy client care is access to language services. As a contract interpreter, you would be part of helping refugees access the full spectrum of our services we offer at World Relief through your interpretation services, ensuring that, as directed by our team, expectations and boundaries are communicated, that services are fully understood by the client, and that service needs are appropriately communicated.
Our interpreters may be given opportunities to serve our clients in Cultural Orientation classes, and in understanding grants and services in the areas of employment, money management, services to children & youth, at airport pickups, & airing grievances.
The Contract Interpreters in Arabic, Dari, Pashto, or Russian, are responsible for accurately interpreting services and service needs between World Relief staff and clients of World Relief in a manner that reflects an established and nurtured relationship between client and staff. Because we are providing services to our clients, all communication, names of clients, and client information, interpreters must understand and value confidentiality as their responsibility.
The interpreter must interpret information accurately, without adding to or taking away from the message, while also recognizes & navigating sensitive cultural differences. The interpreter is professional and courteous at all times and uses appropriate terminology and will use common industry procedures and practices as outlined in World Relief onboarding.
- Accurately interpret/translate services and service needs between World Relief staff and clients of World Relief in a manner that reflects an established and nurtured relationship between client and staff.
- Interpret information accurately, without adding to or taking away from the message, while also recognizing & navigating sensitive cultural differences.
- Use appropriate terminology and will use common industry procedures and practices
- Be able to render correct concepts and meanings according to the conventions of established interpretation protocol, avoiding omissions or additions.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Fluency in Dari or Pashto or Arabic, or Russian and English and skilled in the associated cultural dynamics.
- At least 2 professional references that have accessed your interpretation services are required.
- Ability to provide cultural competency and assess regional and accent differences to find ways of communicating between clients & staff.
- Excellent listening, retention and note-taking skills to maintain a high level of accuracy during interpretation.
- Education or work experience in language-related fields such as teaching, language assessment, translation or interpretation preferred but not required.
- Complete WR’s onboarding training for interpreters
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Legally authorized to work in the US/Canada.
- Applicants for employment in the US must have work authorization that does not now or in the future require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorization in the United States
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Ability to read and write the requested languages – required.
- Have a schedule that allows you to be occasionally available for interpretation services during regular business hours.
- Be on time to appointments, arriving at least 15 minutes early for a paid pre-session with the staff to discuss goals, guidelines, and concerns for the interpretation session.
- Speak clearly in both languages using proper pronunciation, enunciation and polite expressions.
- Maintain a professional demeanor throughout the interpreting sessions at all times.
- Ability to remain calm during interpreting sessions regardless of emotions from the client.
- Demonstrate commitment to cultural sensitivity and working in a diverse environment.
- High speed Internet connection for electronic communication. This internet connection should provide download speeds of no less than 5 Mbps and upload speeds of 3 Mbps.
- A laptop or computer in order to conduct video calls if needed.
- Reliable transportation to and from appointments if needed.
- Must be willing to complete WR Sacramento’s qualification process for interpreters which requires creating free accounts on multiple websites
Pay: $22-27/ hour (depending on experience) or 0.12 cents/ word
This is a contract position with no guaranteed number of hours. If you pass the interpreter testing, your name goes into a database for our staff to access your services.